Assignment 1 for CSCI 201
In this assignment you are asked to do both a written and a
programming assignment. Both assignments are due at the start of
class two weeks from the date that this assignment is given.
Written Assignment (show all of your work):
- Convert the following base 10 numbers to base 2 (binary) using 8
bits to represent each binary number:
- Convert the following base 10 numbers to a two's complement
representation using 8 bits for each number:
- Compute the following products and sums in binary (show only as
many bit as necessary to perform the calculation and represent the
- -6 + 6
- 5 x 4
- 11 - 10
- Exercise 2.7 on page 96 of your text.
- Exercise 2.15 on page 97 of your text.
Write the C++ program described in exercise 2.32 of your text.
Calculate the sum of the five integers prior to calculating their
average. Be sure to use good programming style; the programs in the
book demonstrate good programming style.
What to turn in:
You should turn in the following at the start of class two weeks
from the assignment date:
- The answers to the written assignments should be submitted on
paper. Be sure to show all of your work.
- The programming assignment should be submitted on a floppy disk,
the disk should be labeled (on the outside) with your name and section
number. The disk should contain the cleaned workspace that
you created for this assignment. The cleaned workspace
contains your source code program and is created as described in