HON 179 Engineering Design
- There is no textbook, we will use on-line materials posted on this class page.
- TIME AND PLACE
- MWF 12:45-2:00 PM
- RBH 223
- Rebecca Bruce
- Office: RBH 220
- Office Hours: MWF: 10:00-10:45AM; T,R: 1-2:45PM, and by Appointment
This course introduces freshman students to UNCA and to engineering design. Engineering design combines creativity with a systematic approach to problem solving. In this course, we focus on facilitating creativity. The course will emphasize the following: the design process, 3D modeling, basic electric circuits, microprocessors, fabrication, and the creative use of these tools to solve problems. This is a 'hands-on' course; all concepts will be introduced in an interactive lab/lecture environment. There will be ample opportunity for self-guided exploration and creativity.
We believe that it is essential to play with technology, exploring different possiblities directly in hardware and software. We believe that exploration should be self-guided to the largest extent possible. Creativity is fostered by self-guided exploration. In order to incourage creativity, this class strives to offer the nine dimensions of a climate for innovation (Prather, C. W., 1996).
- Idea Time
- Idea Support
- Challenge and Involvement
- PERSONAL MOTIVATION
- Trust and Openness
- Playfulness and Humor
- Absence of Interpersonal Conflicts
- Debates About the Issues
Lecture: Students are expected to attend all class meetings. Failure to do so will impact your class grade and will be considered a lack of interest in success on the part of the student. Students are responsible for completeing all work missed due to class absense on their own.
Exams: If you must miss a quiz due to illness, you must email or telephone the instructor before the scheduled time to avoid a zero for that quiz.
LATE ASSIGNMENT POLICY
Late assignments will be accepted with a late penalty.
|Up to ONE week past due date:||10% off regular grade|
|More than ONE week past due date:||NO CREDIT|
As per the catalog, students will be excused from the late penalty if they have documented emergencies or are representing UNCA on university-sanctioned travel. An equipment failure is not an excuse for turning in an assignment late.
In addition to targeting the learning objectives listed below, this course is designed to meet the learning outcomes for Writing Intensive courses and the learning outcomes for courses in the Honors Program.
- students will be able to clearly articulate in their ideas in scientific writing
- students will be able to clearly articulate in class discussion their ideas about course content
- students will understand how a liberal arts education differs from other approaches to higher education
- students will be able to create 3D scale models in Google SketchUp
- students will be able to create and read a simple schematic diagram
- students will be able to wire simple circuits
- students will be able to program the Arduino microprocessor
- Saturday 3:30-4:45: Creativity Discussion.
- Monday: Introduction to the course, Introduction to Moodle Forum writing & SketchUp Exercise 1
- Friday: Found-Object Project & SketchUp Exercise 2
- Monday: Found-Object Sculpture Models
- Friday: Found-Object Sculpture Model Completion & Construction
- Monday: No Class: Labor Day
- Wednesday: Optional Found-Object Sculpture Construction
- Friday: Found-Object Sculpture, Career Center Introduction & MBTI, SketchUp Take-Home Quiz & Sample Solution
- Monday: Sculpture Pictures, Sculpture Writing Assignment, Circuit Bending Project Part 1: Mapping , & Mapping Forum
- Friday: Circuit Bending Project Part 1: Mapping , & Mapping Forum
- Monday: MBTI Interpretation, Circuit Bending Project Part 2: Measuring & Measuring Forum
- Friday: Circuit Bending Project Part 2: Measuring & Measuring Forum
- Monday: Circuit Bending Project Part 3: Bending & Bending Forum
- Friday: Voter Registration, Circuit Bending Quiz, Circuit Bending Writing Assignment Simple Circuits Part 1: Voltage & Current, & Voltage & Current Forum
- Monday: Simple Circuits Part 2: Switches, & Ohm's Law Forum
- Friday: Study Abroad Presentation & Simple Circuits Part 3: Electromagnets & Capacitors, & Electromagnets & Capacitors Forum
- Monday: No Class: Fall Break, Enjoy!
- Friday: Simple Circuits Part 4: Misfit Toys
- Monday: Advising & Simple Circuits Part 4: Misfit Toys
- Friday: Simple Circuits Part 4: Misfit Toys, Circuits Quiz Review, & Halloween Descriptive Writing Assignment
- Monday: Simple Circuits Quiz
- Friday: Talk by Brent Skidmore
- Monday: Sound Part 1 & Hardware Forum
- Friday: Sound Part 1 & Blink Forum
- Monday: Sound Part 2, Variables & Procedures Forum , & Loops & If-Statements Forum
- Friday: Sound Part 2, a new version of Melody, & Arrays & Music Forum
- Monday: Sound Part 3, Sound Part 3 Forum , Sound Quiz Review, & Sound Writing Assignment
- Friday: Programming Playhouse
- Monday: Sound Quiz & LEDs and Sensors
- Friday: No Class: Happy Thanksgiving!
- Monday: Student-Led Project, LED and Sensors Takehome Quiz, & Songs for the Arduino
- Friday: Student-Led Project
- Monday: Student-Led Project
- Final Exam: Present final projects. Friday 11:30-2:00 pm
|Description||Number||Individual Points||Net Points|
Letter grades are assigned based on the percentage of available points obtained by a student. 100% to 90% guarantees an A, 89% to 80% guarantees a B, and so on. The instructor reserves the option of relaxing the cut-offs for a letter grade in special circumstances. Plus and minus grades will be used for this course.
Return to Rebecca Bruce's home page
Last modified: August, 2010