The digital world
In a recent lab you learned about
the digital side of the Arduino by using
The basic ideas
- Analog to digital conversion (ADC)
- Puls width modulation (PWM) to mimic digital to analog conversion (DAC)
tone()to mimic music
- low pass filters to smooth the signal
- Pulse Density Modulation for serious audio
Trying it out
Try out some of these Arduino tutorials to learn a bit more.
- Using to potentiometer
- Displaying an analog signal — it’s always good to start here
- Using PWM
- Fading an LED with a pot
- Controlling with a light dependent resistor (LDR) — requires some tuning
You can try the Tone Melody tutorial. It’s fun and we’ll try a bit-banging version later in the semester.
You can also make a “instrument” following the Tone Pitch Follower tutorial. I suggest you use a pot rather than an LDR. Using
log make the instrument a bit easier to control.