- Architecture or Programming (Section 6.7)
Because MIPS programming was done in the last two offerings of CSCI 255 and we did the x86-64 before the break, we only have one thing to do here.
Notes on the PowerPoint
- Slide 122: Exceptions
- Synchronous exceptions — You can identify the offending statement
- Asynchronous exceptions —
- Slide 123: Exception Registers
- Slide 124: Exception Causes
- Slide 125: Exception Flow
C / Unix signal handling
It ain’t pretty.
- Pretty complete example on GitHub
- Overview of signals
One of the first high-level programming language constructs for
exception handling with the
ON-condition of PL/I.
Today exception handling is based on the
throw of LISP.
One of the first programming languages to use this model with a
Many machine exceptions, such as page faults, are not user-level program exceptions.