- How asymmetric encryption works — very simply
- Essentials of Cryptography and Network Security — Lynda video
Every web address starting with
https: uses a certificate.
See how to view the certificates being used by your browser.
Just search for something like “view certificates in xxxx.”
SSH and its friends
- Useful implementations
PGP and its frenemies
- Phil Zimmermann
- How PGP works
- OpenPGP specification
- Concepts — private key, public key, passphrase, fingerprint
- GPG, GnuPG, GNU Privacy Guard
- Key signing party
- GPG documents and examples
Homework 3 (under construction)
- Generate a GPG public/private key for yourself
- Publish your public key at
- Insert my key into your key chain
- Generate a signed and encrypted message for me
- Decrypt a signed and encrypted message from me
You will need to generate your public key before I can send you a message.