- Segments with protection (similar to Intel)
- Computations (similar to process groups)
- Principals (similar to users)
- Parallel programming primatives based on Conway’s
- Only one process can be active in the monitor at a time (compare with synchronized methods in Java.
- conditional variables
Programming semantics for multiprogrammed computations
Programming semantics for multiprogrammed computations by Jack Dennis and Earl Van Horn presents several significant concepts.
In Monitors: an operating system structuring concept, Tony Hoare (or Sir Charles Antony Richard Hoare) extended the concept of monitors to support synchronized abstract data types. Here are a few significant ideas from monitors.
This assignment must be either turned in at class on Thursday, 24 January or uploaded to the Moodle submission page for Homework 1 by 5:30 PM on Thursday, 24 January.