Topics carried over from Exam 1
- Data representation — signed and unsigned
- Binary logic operations — NOT, AND, OR, NAND, NOR
- Combinational logic gates
- Flip-flops & memories
- Finite state machines
More recent topics
- Implementing common C operators with MIPS32 instructions, as in the Introduction to MIPS32 Assembly lab
- registers vs memory vs immediate operations
- use of
swfor array operations
x = V[i] ;
V[i] = x ;
- Control flow implementation, as in Homework 6
- Instruction encoding, as in Homework 7 and Homework 8
- Pointer implementation, as in Homework 9
- Array implementation, as in Homework 10 and the Arrays and Functions with MIPS32 Assembly lab
- Function calling conventions, as in Homework 11 and the Arrays and Functions with MIPS32 Assembly lab
- Using MPLAB X
C vs Java
The selection statements and shift and bitwise operators of
C and Java have very few differences.
is 9 in both Java and C.
Do not worry about differences between the two languages
for this exam.
Handy tables and reference sheets
Exams from this semester
Exams from Fall 2013
Exams from Fall 2012
Exams from Fall 2010
Exams before Fall 2010
A different textbook was used before the Fall 2010 semester. With the exception of the first exam, these exams are not particular relevant to this semester.