UNCA CSCI Username and Password
To log into the computer science workstations, you will need a username and a password. These are not the same as your UNCA username and password.
Follow the following algorithm to determine your username.
- Start with the first six letters of your last name. If your last name has fewer than six letters, use your entire last name.
- Follow this with the first letter of your first name.
- If you have a middle name, add in its first letter.
- Convert all these characters to lower-case.
Here are examples of the usernames for a few presidents.
|John Quincy Adams||adamsjq|
|Martin Van Buren||vanburm|
|James Earl Carter, Jr.||carterje|
|George Herbert Walter Bush||bushgh|
If you have used the Linux workstations before and have changed your password, you can ignore this section. Otherwise, to get your initial password do the following.
- Start with the first four letters of your last name. If your last name has fewer than six letters, use your entire last name.
- Follow this with the last four digits of your 93 number (student ID).
- Do not change the capitilization of this string!
If Millard Fillmore had the student ID 930123456, his password would be Fill3456.
Testing it out
Start by providing the following information.
Hopefully this is your username and password information.
What can go wrong?
The most common problem is that the password was changed in a previous semester. If you did this and can’t remember your password, you will need to ask the instructor to have your password reset.
Also, if you haven’t been enrolled in a computer science class for several years, it is possible that your earlier account have been deleted and then recreated. In this case, try to use the suggested password.
Sometimes there are problems with the rolls the department receives from the university to create accounts. If you added a bit before the start of the semester, your name may not be on the roll provided to the department. Also, there are sometimes inconsistences with the names given on the roll. For example, a middle name may be omitted from the class roll.
In any case, if you can’t connect with the username and password obtained above, talk to your instructor.